Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Nutrition and Cooking: Making Hummus

As part of our health and wellbeing unit we have been cooking on Fridays. First students learned how to read a recipe and make a grocery list. The day before we did a lesson on knife usage and safety and they cut up vegetables. I was surprised to find out how many students did not have experience with knives and cooking. I can remember when I was a child I would always cook with my mom and sister.

The next day we formed groups and created hummus as our first healthy snack. The kids had a great time and most of them were risk-takers and tried it. We had a wonderful parent volunteer come in to help which made all of the difference. It was so nice to see the kids learning a life skill that is typically not taught in elementary school.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment