Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Lattice Method Multiplication

The students have been working so hard the past few months on their multiplication skills. They have been practicing minute math, taking extra math packets home, and paying attention in class as I teach different strategies for figuring out multi-digit multiplication problems. 

But today, I taught some "math magic." Our math curriculum, Everyday Math, focuses on teaching many different strategies for solving problems and encourages the children to choose the one that fits them best. Today I taught the Lattice Method. It was unfamiliar to me until just a few years ago, when I learned it at University, and like me, the kids were amazed. I know it will be unfamiliar to many parents, so I wanted to share a tutorial I found on youtube. Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment