Sunday, January 15, 2012

Day In My Shoes

One blogger I follow started a fun linky party and I wanted to join along. It is called Day In My Shoes and fellow bloggers are telling all about their day so here it goes.
  • 5:20 am Alarm goes off, get in swimsuit, grab a glass of water, keys and goggles.
  • 5:25 Walk downstairs to meet a few fellow teachers and walk across the field to the school swimming pool. Get in the brisk water and swim laps for 30 minutes.
  • 5:55 Walk back home and take a shower. Get ready for the day. Make some tea and breakfast to take along, check email, facebook and blogs, get lunch out of the fridge, pack school bag, pray I did not forget something, walk back across the field with Cody to work.
  • 6:30 Check in at staff room, morning greetings to fellow co-workers in Kiswahili, check pigeon-hole and walk to class.
  • 6:35 Enter room, usually with waiting students. Turn on the lights and air con units, get out computer, eat breakfast while setting up for the day. Make sure the schedule is up, the students have gotten their stickers from yesterday. Greet my teaching assistant, and every student and parent entering the room. Talk with parents and students until the morning bell rings.
  • 7:10 School starts. With students set daily goals and give super stars for great team behavior the day before. Morning work and then start Language Arts block. Spelling, Daily 5 and writing.
  • 9:15 Read aloud story while kids eat snack. Right now I am reading a book about animal heroes to go with our most recent PYP unit.
  • 9:30 Recess bell rings. Wednesdays I head out for break duty.
  • 9:50 Specials for the students and prep/team planning for me. The special schedule changes daily so the times are often slightly different.
  • 11:20 Lunch for staff and students. I eat in my room and continue to get more work done, taking a small break to check my blog reader.
  • 12:05 pm Math block. Currently we are studying geometry.
  • 1:30 Pass out homework books and homework, pass out homework bags and wrap-up the day. If there is time, play a class game until the bell rings at 1:45.
  • 1:55 Grade papers, speak with parents or colleagues and get ready for the next day. On Thursdays I help lead my Girl Scouts after school activity.
  • 3:30 Head home back across the field. Get snack, check email and do various computer things. Right now I am addicted to pinterest and have been spending too much time organizing my teacher resources here.
  • 4:30 Yoga, pilates, running, volleyball or football with colleagues living on campus depending on the day.
  • 6:30 Start prepping dinner with Cody.
  • 7:00 Dinner and a movie. We do not have TV so we typically put something on to watch. We brought a lot of DVD's to Tanzania.
  • 9:00 Get ready for bed, read and lights out between 9:30 and 10:00

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog via the linky party! Im so EXCITED to read about your journey as an international. How AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I keep reading I find our you are in Special Education, me too!! Im even more excited!

    ReplyDelete